Mother’s Day is just a few days away. But don’t feel like you have to break the bank to show mom how much she means to you. Many mothers don’t want family members to spend all that much. Instead, they’d appreciate their loved ones getting creative and getting busy with Mother’s Day gifts that are heavy on memorable experiences and lighter on the wallet.
For a frugal a fulfilling Mother’s Day this year, we’ve got several ideas for free (or close to it) for gifts that will make the day of your mom, grandma or wife.
1. Do something around the house. Most moms appreciate a little help around the house. Whether the mom in your life is a stay-at-home mom, a working mom or an empty-nester grandmother, she is busy! So this Mother’s Day weekend, spend some time doing work around the house without being asked.
Clean the house, wash the dishes, do the laundry, plant the garden, do some yard work outside, put together some new furniture. Do anything that needs done that you know is her least favorite.
2. Cook for her. Breakfast in bed is always a classic or did someone say dinner? A meal that mom doesn’t have to make (along with the cleanup afterwards), is a great way to say I love you and appreciate you.
3. Write something to show your thanks. If you have a way with words, consider letting your inner poet shine through or putting one of your favorite childhood memories to paper. If writing isn’t your strong suit don’t let that deter you. Write a list of all the things you love about your mom or wife. Jot out a note or create a handmade card.
4. Channel your inner artist. The internet is full of great ideas for crafts you can make out of things you probably have around your house. Or create a painting, or other unique project for a one-of-a-kind gift.
Maybe you love to take photos? So often, moms are hardly in photos because they’re the ones taking them. Take the mom in your life out for a mini photoshoot and print those photos as a gift. You taking the time to create something especially for her will mean more than any gift you could buy.
5. Go on an adventure. Take her out! Surprise mom with hike on her favorite trail, take her to the park for a family picnic, visit a local museum. Or if you’re local to Brighton, Michigan head downtown and explore the Brighton Farmers’ Market- Flower Day.
6. Spend time together. Not interested in planning an adventure outside the house? Plan a day of full of fun at home! Play board games, card games or outside games with the whole family. Bake or cook a new recipe together. Pop some popcorn and have a Mother’s Day Movie Day. Plan a day of your mom, grandma or wife’s favorite things. There are so many great things you can do to show your thanks right at home.
Whatever you decide to give the mom in your life this year. Be sure time together is on your list.
The goal is to try and keep the day about the person and not the things. We hope these ideas help you celebrate the mother in your life, while keeping your budget under control.
Written by: Katia Koerner
We are committed to educating everyone about finances. Our workshops are free of charge and are packed full of valuable, relevant information that matters to you and your retirement. Topics include taxes, social security, and we regularly host established financial figures from around the country.
We offer complimentary consultations.
Please click the button above to go directly to our calendar, and set your day and time instantly: